Antique Crutches

Antique Crutches
We have upgraded the crutches only by attaching pathetically uncomfortable padding to the armpit section and the hand section. We have come a long way, haven't we?

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Here's The Story


On Saturday, February 27th, I had adopted this gorgeous dog: Keno, a 4 year old German shepherd/husky mix. She was perfect. She didn't bark, she was totally house trained, she didn't tear a part my house when I wasn't home, she loved being walked!
On Monday, March 1st at around 4 p..m, I had just gotten home from work and decided to take Keno for a long walk. I was walking around my neighbourhood for around 10 minutes and I decided to see if a friend wanted to come for a walk with us. She only lives about 5 minutes away walking, so we headed over to her house.

All three of us were walking along and I remember saying, "Why is there a muffler on the sidewalk" and that was it. I slipped on some ice on the road and the next thing I knew, I was on the ground screaming in pain, holding my ankle and Keno was licking my cheek. I immediately knew I had broken my leg! I am so thankful that my friend had agreed to come with me for a walk! I figured out how to stand up without allowing my right leg/ankle to touch the ground. When I stood and put the tiniest amount of pressure onto the ankle, I knew it was a mistake. My ankle and leg had swollen to about the size of a large melon/brick combination.

We were about 2 blocks away from home. While Keno and I waited at the stop sign, my friend went back to my house and picked up my car. It seemed like forever, but she returned with the car. I hobbled into the car and we returned to my house, dropped off Keno then we headed off to an urgent care facility.

Two years ago, in a small town called Airdrie, (about a 20 minute drive from Calgary) created a fantastic mini hospital. We were in and out within 4 hours, whereas at the hospital where I work, it would have taken 8 hours just to even be seen by a physician.

I had two sets of xrays done and the xray technician told me, "You know it is broken, right?" I sadly said, "Yes." You see, I think the reason why I sort of don't remember the fall is because of the physical shock I received after my bone broke in 2! 48 hours after I left the urgent care, I was to return for my official "real" fiberglass cast. The swelling had to go down before a cast could be applied to the leg/foot. I left the hospital with strict instructions to stay off my foot (no problem there), a set of $22 crutches, and my right leg and foot wrapped with thick gauze, tensor bandages and a molded form attached to the bottom of my foot. I was in extreme pain but in relatively good spirits because my lovely friend had stayed with me during the entire time.

We left the hospital and so many things were racing through my mind. What am I going to do? What about work? What about me attempting to live alone with this heavy cast? I was overwhelmed. With just orders for ibuprofen every 4 hours and apply ice, I was on my own.

My friend dropped me off, got me settled, then she needed to get going.
She left and I cried! A lot! I called my parents and informed them of all that had happened. I called work and gave them the short version. Then I realized, how much pain I was in!

After I finished making some calls, I tackled the stairs. I have about 10 stairs going from the main floor to the upstairs (where my bathroom and bedroom is located). While I was hobbling from the couch to the stairs, I lost my balance x2. I ended up stepping on my broken ankle/foot and screaming in pain. It took me 10 minutes with lots of deep breathing to calm myself down and settle the pain a little bit. Crutches are NOT as easy as they seem to be.

Keno was with me this entire time-sweet girl. I had a few more breakdowns with lots of tears. Keno just kept on looking at me and patting her helped settle me.

Another good friend, came over after her evening shift and gave me some much needed Tylenol 2s and helped me settle into bed. I think I slept that night...not sure, but I only woke up a few times to try to organize my blankets and pillows over my very large right foot/ankle.

Thankfully...THAT day was over!

No comments:

Post a Comment