Monday, April 5, 2010
4th Cast in Five Weeks
I headed into Dr. P's office bright and early this morning. Dr. P decided that I needed a new cast since the cast the nurses put on last Thursday was not the greatest. They tried their best, but there were a couple of areas on the cast that were not ideal. Since they put on the new cast last Thursday, I've been having pain and discomfort! (The dreaded pain has returned but thankfully ibuprofen is warding off the brutal pain I experienced when I first broke my leg).
The xrays reveal that there is not the "greatest amount of healing". Dr. P wants me in a cast for another 4-8 weeks. In 4 weeks time, I will return to Dr. P's office and start the process again (the cut off cast, hobble to xray department, have xrays, hobble back to Dr's office, get new cast on). He decided that surgery wasn't going to happen yet but in 4 weeks time, we would see the xrays and he would decide if I needed surgery.
Then came the fun talk: talking about when I will return to work! He has written a lot of restrictions: no carrying, no lifting, no pulling, no reaching. I can only be up on my crutches for 5-10 minutes/ hour and other than that I have to sit in a wheelchair with my right leg elevated! But...I can do "unlimited amounts of typing"! Work decided that they wouldn't be able to accomodate the restrictions, so no work for me for the next 4 weeks!