Antique Crutches

Antique Crutches
We have upgraded the crutches only by attaching pathetically uncomfortable padding to the armpit section and the hand section. We have come a long way, haven't we?

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Itchy Itchy Scratchy Scratchy



It is true: Casts are itchy! I didn't find my few casts itchy but I have found my last cast to be quite itchy.

I thought I'd write some tips on how to ease the itchiness:


1. Distraction! Distract yourself: get on the phone, on the computer,
watching some TV. Do whatever it takes to get your mind off of the itchiness.

2. Blunt Object! Find a blunt object to ram down the cast. I know, I know, you aren't supposed to do this but when you have tried distraction and the itchiness is driving you crazy, you have to do what you have to do. Right? I have found a knitting needle to be wonderful. I don't use the end of the needles to scratch since that might cause a small scratch or tear in your skin and skin integrity is vital when you are wearing a cast. The last thing you need is to pierce your skin, get an infection then the cast is the least of your concerns. I use the sides of the needle to scratch.



Special Note: When scratching with a blunt object: AVOID THE AREA WHERE YOU FRACTURE IS! It doesn't matter how badly I itch close to the area where my broken bone is, I NEVER EVER EVER EVER scratch ANYWHERE NEAR THE BREAK! You know what will happen if you do that: PAIN WILL HAPPEN!

3. Cream! I really did find cream helped. I know, how do you put cream on your leg or limb when it is being covered by a cast? I found the perfect solution. I put cream on my leg-above my cast, then using my knitting needle, I slid some cream down my leg with the knitting needle to the area that was the most itchy. It takes a few minutes since mostly the cream just slides down your leg totally away from the itchy spot.
( I just found a website that says not to put cream down your cast! I guess due to the moisture of the cream, your cast might get wet. I didn't use a ton, maybe one squirt, and my cast isn't soggy like it was after the shower, so I think I'm good to go).

4. Ice! It is amazing but ice really is our friend. When the distraction, knitting needle and cream just can't get to that itchy spot, use ice. I wrapped two ice packs in cloth napkins and tied them around the area that was the most itchy. Phew! Relief!

Stay tuned for our next educational session on how to draw graffiti to your cast!



P.S. This is not how you should scratch! A twisted coat hanger? What were his parents thinking?

2 comments:

  1. I used a ruler while in my cast. But I only had one and well, when they took it off I had a bug bite! Which was causing the itch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm positive I have a pressure sore at the back of my ankle. I'm not looking forward to taking off this cast, that's for sure! Thankfully though, I'm rarely itchy.

    ReplyDelete